have been selected to join the staff as the new writer of the
hit fishing magazine “Gone Fishing” Your job is to
write an article that will help fisherman predict where fish should
be found in the coastal ocean off of New Jersey. You will be provided
with a variety of scientific data to help you decide where the
fish are and then write an article to share your predictions with
Your task is to:
- Find out how and where fish can be found in the ocean
- Investigate and predict where the fish might be off the coast
of NJ based on data you collect from the COOLroom.
- Write an article for Gone Fishing magazine that explains how
you can use scientific data to find fish and a prediction on
where the fish are based on the real-time data you collect from
Your team (2-3 members) will:
- Form a hypothesis on what you think influences where to find
fish populations in the ocean.
- Research the ocean food web.
- Learn where to find phytoplankton in the ocean.
- Practice analyzing satellite, fluorometry and CTD data to
determine where phytoplankton are in the ocean.
- Collect real-time data over a 3-4 day period to make your
prediction on where the fish are located.
- Write an article for "Gone Fishing" magazine that
explains how you can use scientific data to find fish. You will
make a prediction on where the fish are based on the real-time
data you collect from the COOLroom. Your article can include
maps and pictures from COOL Classroom or the COOLroom.
- Make a presentation of your article to your class. The class
may even select the best article for submission on the COOL
“Gone Fishing” virtual magazine.